February 17, 2023
25 FREE Ways to Celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Day
Have you ever had your entire day improve because of something someone did for you or to you? Something simple. Something small. Something random, but maybe not at all.
Kindness is an incredible superpower every single person can tap into at any time, anywhere. It’s true. Kindness doesn’t have to be expensive, in fact some of the best acts of kindness are free. Don’t believe us? Read through 25 mostly FREE Ways to Celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Day on February 17th.
If you are inspired by this list, we invite you to download our poster for a beautiful reminder of these simple acts.
- Share a snack - Pack an extra snack and make time to enjoy with someone else.
- Pick up litter - Garbage isn’t meant for the streets, do your part for your city and community by picking up pieces of trash every now and again.
- Give others the benefit of the doubt - “I know my life is better when I work from the assumption that everyone is doing the best they can.” – Brené Brown, Dare to Lead
- Drink a glass of water - If you didn’t already know, you’re 60% water. So for your body to function at its maximum potential, you need to drink 64 ounces of water a day (or eight 8-ounce glasses, for an easy way to remember).
- Donate blood - Safe blood saves lives. One blood donation can save up to three lives.
- Thank a teacher - There is nothing better than letting this group of superheroes know they are appreciated for what they do.
- Read with a child - at any age — will boost their brain development, your bond, and so much more. All it takes is a few books, motivation, and a little time.
- Compliment with reckless abandon - Don’t ever waste an opportunity to exercise your kindness muscle. If you see something, say something.
- Acknowledge someone who deserves praise - This simple act can make people feel noticed, worthwhile and listened to.
- Support locally owned businesses - Eating locally greatly impacts local farmers and businesses. This seemingly simple act of kindness helps keep local business owners successful and farmers prosperous.
- Open doors for others - Holding the door open is an act of common courtesy that you can show to anyone. And if someone opens a door for you, smile and say, “Thank you!”
- Smile - “If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.” – Dolly Parton
- Use a reusable water bottle - Every year, 38 billion plastic water bottles are wasted and not recycled—and that’s just in the United States! Drinking water is a daily occurrence so using a reusable water bottle is an easy way to be kind every day.
- Text someone a positive message - Kick-start someone’s day and/or make sure it ends on the right note.
- Place encouraging sticky notes in public areas - Grab a stack of sticky notes and spend five minutes writing positive statements on them. Then place the sticky notes anywhere that needs a little kindness like an office, a bus stop, a gas pump, a parked car, a hallway, or hidden around your home!
- Share your favorite song with someone - the brain generates strong emotions from musical stimuli. Sharing your favorite song is sharing a big part of who you are.
- Give an unexpected gift - When you take the time to select the perfect gift and go to the effort of making it a surprise, you express how much you care. If you can bring a little bit of joy to someone’s day, then they might feel inspired to bring joy to another person’s day.
- Go for a long walk - Day or night, rain or shine, walking can always improve your mood.
- Leave an extra big tip - Paying it forward never goes out of style. If you had service that went above and beyond (or you’re just having a good day), you owe it to your server to tip well.
- Encourage a friend - Take time to reach out and check in on your friends. Mark important dates on your calendar or planner so you can remember to reach out during those special times (as well as the not so special times).
- Celebrate someone else’s accomplishment - Life is short! Celebrate your friends and family and all that they do.
- Put away your phone and listen with your heart - People need to tell their stories, but don’t always feel like anyone is listening. When in the company of others, put away your phone and listen.
- Send a thank you note - A handwritten expression of gratitude has never been more important.
- Laugh until your belly hurts - Laughter should be listed as a superfood. We know, it's not a food, but it's got the same number of benefits as all the superfoods combined! It is SO GOOD for your health.
- Love who you are - Say something positive about yourself. There’s only one you!
If you’ve made it this far, thank you! That in and of itself is an act of kindness. By the way, you can download our new poster with these (and other) kindness ideas to display at home, work or school.
Be sure to sign up for our Daily Dose of Kindness emails here!
The benefits of kindness are amazing and available to everyone. For more resources visit our website.
Share your stories with us @rakfoundation or email@example.com
All of these are great ways to show kindness!
Please log in or sign up to add your commment.