The Kindness of Mothers
Did you grow up in an urban or a rural community? I grew up in a small farming community in Southern Indiana and the longer I live, the more I realize growing up in a small town was a blessing.
I had the same friends from kindergarten to high school and even to this day I keep in touch with all of my good high school friends. I didn't realize this was a rarity until I went to college. And even now as communities grow children often have multiple schools they can attend in one school system so from kindergarten to first grade and then into junior high and high school a child could constantly be split up from friends they had made the prior year.
Growing up in a small community I had many mothers. My friend's moms constantly looked after each other's children. I want to make clear; I had the best mom in the world. I wouldn't have asked for anyone different. My mom set an amazing example for my sister and me. My mom taught me the importance of:
- Working hard as she was a working mother.
- Lifelong learning as she is always taking classes and learning new skills.
- Being a giver and helping those in need.
- Taking care of our bodies by eating healthy and working out.
But besides my own mother, I was surrounded and loved by my friend's mothers. My friend's mothers not only loved their own children but showed me and my friend's lots of kindness. I had mothers that:
- Cared for my sister and me during the summer while my parents worked.
- Toted me around to basketball games and track meets.
- Made homemade potpie, just for me.
- Gave great hugs.
- Listened when I talked about life's happenings as a teenager girl.
The list of all the acts of the kindness that mothers have shown me over the years is a mile long. Thank you to all the mothers who love not only their own children, but all children in their lives.
I encourage you to send a thank you note to a mom in your life that made a difference during your childhood. I know it will brighten their day!
i am so excited - this mothers day i will drop off single stem roses to every mum in our nursing home! I cant wait to see their smile!